Saturday, February 27, 2010

Holiday Performance CW Long Orchestra

Hello! It has been a while, but I have lots to say! The CW Long Orchestra, under my direction has worked diligently to prepare for our holiday program at the school. I had a total of 56 members, mostly from the 6th grade. The majority of my musicians were violinist. The 2nd largest group is the cello section. The viola and bass are rather small. The selections we performed were "Do You Hear What I Hear?", "March of the Metrognome", and "Bloosy Woosy". We performed 3 days in a row: Tuesday December 15, 2009, for the parents @6:00pm, Wednesday, December 16, 2009 for the student body, and Thursday, December 17, 2009, @ Southlake Mall, Morrow, Ga.

A major challenge is motivating my kids to see an actual future in strings. I know that music will be somewhere in their lives, but because they are so young, their interests may change and that's okay. It is also a challenge to settle the students down, stop chasing each other and being silly in a room full of costly equipment, to be little performers who understand they represent the school in a major way and that all eyes are on them and it is important how their audience perceives them. They still want to chew gum, talk loudly and frolic. I stress to them,"...The way they rehearse will be the way they perform. So is it important enough for you that your audience boast on the good you do, or talk negatively about how poorly you do?"

No comments:

Post a Comment