Saturday, February 27, 2010

One of my Musical Influences has Passed

Mrs. Gloria W. Crabb, who I named in one of my earlier blogs as one of my musical influences has passed. Mrs. Crabb was the Director of the Children's Choir, Ebenezer Baptist Church, Sandusky, Ohio. She gave me my first solo in the choir "God Gave Me A Song (That the Angels Cannot Sing). She was very encouraging, telling all of us to do our best for the Lord. She put up with us children even when we acted up, but she made us do right. I grew up listening to her beautiful organ and piano playing, that I took piano lessons and eventually played at church, but nothing like her style. It truly was a gift. I have numerous recordings of her playing while I sang solos and different songs she played for church service. If you never heard her play, you truly missed some beautiful music.
On Wed January 20, 2010 the most talented and most wonderful person whom I loved dearly, lost her battle with lung cancer. She was 76. I knew she was sick, but I had no idea until a church friend told my mother that she was placed in hospice and that nothing else could be done for her.

Every time I go home to Ohio to visit, I make it a special point to rehearse and sing/ play piano with the choirs that I had joined before coming back to Atlanta. On Sundays when I first arrive to Sandusky before choir rehearsals for the week begin, I always go to the choir stand and greet the members to let them know I was back home, making sure I see Mrs. Crabb. Well the last time I went to the choir stand to say hello, she seemed standoffish, spoke her hello, and quickly left. I really thought that was strange for her to do, and as I was greeting the other members, that thought remained in my mind, although I didn't tell anyone but my mother who was in Mississippi at the time.

A church friend remembers seeing Mrs. Crabb before she found out why she was sick, that she would be so exhausted walking in and around church, pausing to catch her breath a lot!

Although some people knew of her illness, it was really kept quiet and many people do that, for reasons I do not know. I would ask those who know me to keep me in their prayers, but only they know why they keep silent. My uncle "Kike" just died Friday morning 2/26/10, and he wasn't telling how bad he was feeling either.I will miss him.

I will miss her everyday. Mrs. Gloria Crabb.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your posts. Keep up with a weekly journal entry. We would also love to read about your observations on the connections you're making between the Pink readings and your classroom situation. How is your Action Research project coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about the passing of such a positive influence in your life. I'm sure she was just as meaningful to every life she touched.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I am reading this very late, but I too am sorry to hear of your loss. My grandmother passed just yesterday. It is the the happy memories I hold dear to my heart. I do remember my grandmother dancing to the radio in her kitchen when I was a very small girl, and I used to love to listen to her sing along. I wonder how far back our musical influences go.

    ReplyDelete