Saturday, February 27, 2010

BLACK HISTORY MONTH PROGRAM 2/26/10

Here @ Long, the orchestra has been preparing for our Black History Month Program. It was wonderful to see all 3 grade levels react history and dress out in skits. The band did a great job playing "Dirty Diana"and When The Saints Go Marching In", the chorus performed "I'll Be There" and "Didn't My Lord", and the orchestra performed" We Shall Overcome",and I must say we, the orchestra did a great job! The programs happened 3 times, once for each connections class, so by the end of the day I was exhausted!!! The first time we performed, we fell apart slightly because the lower voiced instruments were going too slowly! They have got to learn to listen across the sections. They all do! At times the violins wanted to slow things down as well.

I thought to have a small chamber group perform the selection in the hallway as each grade level assembled in the gym. Strangely, I instructed the students that we would be performing 3 times, and that my chamber group would be performing in the halls first, and would be quickly returning to sit with the rest of the orchestra, but they kept asking me would they have to perform for each connections time? Didn't get that, but they really enjoyed the all day camaraderie and the orchestra celebration at the end of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment