Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Synthesizing

I was glad that our group had to read the synthesis chapter, because I believe it is how I process my information in the classroom. Synthesis is compiling information in order form an organized product. Mainly, it's what I have to do to pass this ArtAPS course! I need to be able to make certain connections to compose an organized and completed structure that may be beneficial to other teachers.

The information given by ArtAPS required one to really analyze current methods of pedagogy both strengths and weaknesses to be able to recall from what I have studied, adding what I learned from other teachers and workshops, finding the Internet as an invaluable tool. The synthesized mind is innate in it's ability to categorize information in order to better aid the students.

As I think back over the last few days where I had an "aha" moment. The lesson was dealing with placing the fingers of the left hand in place where the F# would be in tune. Their left palms were still flat resting against the bottoms of the neck of the instrument. In one of my essential questions, I instantly thought to have the student open the hand as if she was palming a softball or very large grapefruit. I had the student practice walking around the room instead of tagging other students, to practice holding his hand in playing position. So when that class left, you better believe I began to rethink how to teach that student and thinking what visuals I could provide for him and from where, and has there been any research done on my particular challenge area. The more I dove into finger placement, the more i was able to come up with printable materials to deal with that student one on one. I came up with "Steps to Good Hand Position" lesson where everything I found as a resource was implemented in steps to assist the struggling finger placer.


No comments:

Post a Comment