Saturday, April 24, 2010

DESIGN in my Classroom

Design is an integral component of what I do daily as a teacher. I craft lessons thas are well thought out for my students. Design utilizes two key components: utility and signifcance. The lessons must be tailored to benefit my beginning, intermediate and advanced orchestra students, while, at the same time, be fun and engaging for them to feel proud of what they do and how well they do it.


In terms of how design is best demonstrated here, "Balanced Instrumentation" comes to mind. As I prepare Crawford Long Middle School orhcestra students for the APS String Fling, a muscial evening of stringed music featuring all elementary, middle, and high school orchestra students, I have been given a few musical selections to teach my students. I have also been instructed to make sure the students I am sending to perform will be of an even blend of musicians to compliment the other performers and not too many in any particular section.


Currently, as things stand, I am preparing all of CW Long's performers to play the String Fling music assessing ability levels and behavior, making sure our school will be more than adequately represented. Its a major component of design where all instruments will be depicted in whole group representation. The "Big Picture". According to CHAD's Barbara Chandler-Allen, " To be a designers is to be an agent of change," and in many ways in our local school sites, we music teachers are just that. As our roles as agents of change, we make any performance a beautiful, pleasing environment for all those in attendance. In the String Fling, as each teacher stays with the structure of this design I just mentioned, the rest of the Six Senses will fall easily into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment